I finally paid a visit this morning to the Oceola Township offices and talked to the assessor and zoning administrator. I had a satellite image of our property on which I had drawn the proposed barn and driveway. All they need in order to issue a land use permit is for me to show the size of the building and the setbacks on the image. I also visited the Livingston County Building Department. I talked to one of the counter clerks who had me talk to Rick, who is one of the inspectors. He had just built a large pole barn and used 6×6 posts set in 26″ diameter holes back filled with concrete. The bottom of the posts need to be at least 48″ below grade to get below the frost line so I will figure on posts four feet longer than my exterior wall height.
Based on my preliminary online research and visits the land use, building and electrical permits are the only other ones I will need in order to put up a bus barn. The clerk gave me a check sheet of the documentation I will need to provide. I would have to file some additional paperwork with the County Health Department, but would not need permits from them or from the Drain or Road Commissions.
I drove to the Township offices on Latson Road by way of Hacker and M-59. Hacker was so bad the last few days due, in part, to heavy rains that it was more pothole than road and many of them were larger and deeper than normal. The road grader was repairing the road and it was digging deep. The grader was still working when I returned home but the road was already much better. The road needs to be rebuilt with a substantial amount of road gravel and with proper drainage ditches along both sides. Or paved. Paved would be good. Linda read something last fall that indicated Oceola and Hartland Townships had agreed to pave Hacker Road from M-59 south to Golf Club. We checked when we got home this spring but could not find any reference to such a project.
Back at the house I settled in to create a scale drawing of the floor plan of our bus and then draw in the 16″x16″ floor tiles. I added up the various areas yesterday and added 25% for waste, but that turned out to be a low estimate. By drawing the tiles I was able to count how many I would actually need. I called Lynch Carpet in Howell and talked to Clint to get a rough price estimate for the materials. The 16×16 Armstrong Alterna Luxury Vinyl Tiles are packed 14 to a box and can only be ordered by the box. We need 190 tiles for the project so we will have to buy 14 boxes (196 tiles). That turned out to be 50 square feet more than my original estimate, but would leave us with only six full tiles as spares, assuming I do not ruin any during the installation. Fortunately, the vinyl adhesive and vinyl grout were less expensive than I expected, so even with a freight charge the bottom line was similar to my first estimate. Using these tiles it will be approximately a $2,000 project.
My layout has the tiles in a standard pattern with the grout lines lined up in two directions, one running parallel to the long axis of the bus and the other perpendicular to that. I presumed that this would take less tile and require less cutting but after seeing the layout I am not so sure. I will probably make a second drawing with the tiles turned 45 degrees and see if it makes more efficient use of the tiles. We plan to use a grout that is very similar in color to the base color of the tiles so the grout lines will tend to blend in rather than standout as a design feature, and perhaps make the orientation of the tiles less important visually.
Later in the afternoon I called Pat at Apex Roofing to let him know our shingle selection. I left the information in a voice message and Pat called back later to confirm. We are going to use the Certainteed Max Def Resawn Shake shingle. We are still thinking about the skylight tubes. We talked about putting one or two in the living room and possibly one between the kitchen/dining rooms and one in the hallway. I realized that the air-conditioner would probably be in the way of the one for the kitchen/dining area, so we will not do that one.
Linda made granola today and made baked/stuffed acorn squash for dinner along with an asparagus, carrot, green bean sauté and fresh sweet Bing cherries. I took care of some e-mail and then we had slices of the Mother’s Day vegan cake. I called my sister to check on how our grand-niece was doing. She called me back later and we had a long chat. Linda and I then watched season 2, Episode 2 of Sherlock.
After Linda fell asleep I was still up (writing) when a noise started and did not stop. I suspected it was the water sanitizer recharging, as the water softener had recently recharged, but I got up to make sure that’s what it was and not something else like a sump pump that was stuck in the on position. It was the sanitizer, so I closed the laundry room door to reduce the noise and went back to bed. I really need to soundproof the laundry room and reprogram the softener and sanitizer to come on at better times.